Step by Step Guide: How to Make a Money Lei
Wearing a lei is a tradition in Hawaiian culture to show appreciation or to welcome someone to an event or celebration. A money lei is a creative thoughtful gift that can be given for graduations weddings or other special occasions. In this article we will provide a step by step guide on how to make a money lei.
1. 30-40 dollar bills
2. Ribbon or cord
5. Beads (optional)
6. Artificial flowers (optional)
Step 1: Fold the Dollar Bills
1. Take one dollar bill fold it accordion-style back forth until the entire bill is folded.
2. Take the folded bill fold it in half forming a “V” shape.
3. Repeat this process with the remaining dollar bills.
Step 2: String the Bills Together
1. Cut a length of ribbon or cord to your desired length.
2. Tape the center of the first folded dollar bill to the ribbon or cord.
3. Alternate taping a folded bill to the ribbon or cord then stringing a bead onto the cord. Repeat this pattern until you have used all of the folded bills ending with a bead.
Step 3: Tie the Ribbon or Cord
1. Tie the ends of the ribbon or cord together making sure the lei is the desired length.
2. Use a piece of ribbon or cord to make a bow where the two ends meet.
Step 4: Add Flowers (optional)
1. Cut the stem off of an artificial flower (real flowers will wilt) attach it to the lei using ribbon cord or some glue.
2. Repeat this process with the remaining flowers until you have the desired amount on your lei.
A money lei is a unique thoughtful gift that can be made in just a few simple steps. With a few folds some stringing a lei made of dollar bills can be created to show appreciation to someone special. Remember to personalize your lei by adding beads or flowers to make it truly unique. Follow this step-by-step guide create a perfect money lei for your next celebration.