Step-by-Step Guide: Creating the Perfect Blooming Onion
A blooming onion is a popular appetizer that consists of a large onion which is cut to look like a flower then deep-fried until crispy. It is a delicious easy-to-make dish that is sure to impress your guests. In this article we will provide you with a step-by-step guide to creating the perfect blooming onion.
To make a blooming onion you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
Follow these steps to create the perfect blooming onion:
- Using a sharp knife cut off the top of the onion peel off the skin.
- Place the onion on its top make 4 equally spaced cuts from the top down to 1/2 inch from the bottom of the onion.
- Turn the onion over gently spread out the petals.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together the flour garlic powder paprika salt pepper.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg then add the milk. Mix well.
- Dip the onion in the egg mixture making sure to coat all the petals.
- Next dip the onion in the flour mixture again making sure to coat all the petals.
- Shake off any excess flour then place the onion in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to allow the coating to set.
- While the onion is setting heat up the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or pot to 350°F.
- Carefully lower the onion into the oil fry for 8-10 minutes or until the coating is golden brown crispy.
- Remove the onion from the oil place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Season with salt pepper to taste serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Here are some tips tricks to help you make the perfect blooming onion:
- Use a sharp knife to make clean cuts in the onion.
- Make sure the onion is well-coated in the egg flour mixtures to ensure a crispy coating.
- Refrigerate the onion before frying to help the coating set stay on the onion.
- Be sure to use a deep fryer or pot with enough oil to completely cover the onion.
- Drain any excess oil on a paper towel to prevent the onion from becoming soggy.
Creating the perfect blooming onion is easy with this step-by-step guide. Follow these instructions tips to impress your guests with this delicious appetizer. Enjoy!