How to Make a Traditional Mexican Piñata
A piñata is a brightly colored container made of papier-mâché clay or cardboard that is filled with candy toys or other goodies. It is hung up hit with a stick until it breaks open the treasures inside spill out. Piñatas are a popular tradition in Mexican culture especially at birthday parties other celebrations.
- Papier-mâché (newspaper or crepe paper)
- String or ribbon
- Candy or small toys
- Tissue paper or crepe paper in bright colors
- Blow up the balloon to the desired size leaving a bit of room at the top for the opening where the candy toys will be inserted.
- Tear the newspaper or crepe paper into small pieces mix flour water in a bowl to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to the balloon covering it entirely with one layer of newspaper or crepe paper. Let it dry overnight.
- Repeat step 3 two more times making sure to let each layer dry before adding the next.
- Once all the layers have dried decorate your piñata with colorful tissue or crepe paper cut into fringes or shapes.
- Using a sharp object make a small hole in the top of the piñata for the string or ribbon to be threaded through.
- Fill the piñata with candy toys or other goodies through the opening at the top.
- Tie a knot at the end of the string or ribbon thread it through the hole in the top of the piñata leaving enough string or ribbon to hang the piñata.
- Hang the piñata up let the fun begin! Blindfold one person at a time spin them around a few times let them hit the piñata with a stick until it breaks open.
- Make sure to use strong string or ribbon to hang the piñata as it can get heavy once it’s filled with goodies.
- Choose a stick that is sturdy but not too heavy make sure there is plenty of space around the piñata for the person hitting it to move around.
- If the piñata is taking too long to break open gently poke a few small holes in it to release some candy or toys speed up the process.
Making a traditional Mexican piñata is a fun festive activity that is perfect for parties especially for children. By following these simple steps using your creativity to decorate your piñata you can create a colorful fun-filled addition to any celebration!