Easy DIY: How to Make a Pom Pom with Yarn
Pom poms are adorable little fluffs of yarn that can be used in a variety of DIY projects from embellishing hats scarves to creating garlands keychains. Making your own pom poms at home is easy fun requires only a few simple materials. In this article we will show you how to make a pom pom with yarn using basic techniques.
To make a pom pom you will need:
– Yarn in your desired color (use a thick chunky yarn for larger pom poms a thinner yarn for smaller ones)
– Cardboard or a pom pom maker tool
There are two methods you can use to make a pom pom: the cardboard method the pom pom maker method. We will cover both of them below.
1. Cut a piece of cardboard into a rectangle shape. The size of the cardboard will determine the size of your pom pom so make sure it’s the right size for your project.
2. Wrap yarn around the cardboard multiple times until you have a thick bundle of yarn. The more yarn you wrap the thicker your pom pom will be.
3. Cut a length of yarn slip it underneath the yarn bundle between the cardboard the yarn. Tie a tight knot around the center of the bundle.
4. Use scissors to cut the loops on each end of the bundle. Be sure to cut through all the layers of yarn.
5. Fluff out the pom pom trim any uneven ends. Your pom pom is now ready to use!
Pom pom maker method:
1. Start by opening the pom pom maker separating the two semicircles. Wrap one side of the semicircle with yarn until it is completely covered.
2. Repeat step one with the other side of the pom pom maker.
3. Close the two semicircles together trim any excess yarn.
4. Use scissors to cut around the edges of the pom pom maker making sure to cut through all the layers of yarn.
5. Tie a tight piece of yarn around the center of the pom pom.
6. Pull apart the pom pom maker fluff out the pom pom. Trim any uneven ends.
– To create a two-color pom pom alternate wrapping the yarn with two different colors.
– Use a fork instead of cardboard to create smaller pom poms.
– For a neater finish use a comb or a pom pom trimmer to trim edges instead of scissors.
Now that you know how to make a pom pom you can use them to add a playful touch to all of your DIY projects. Happy crafting!