DIY Scrunchies: A Step-by-Step Guide for Crafting the Perfect Accessory
If you’re looking for a fun easy DIY accessory look no further than scrunchies! These trendy hair ties are not only versatile but also surprisingly simple to make. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating your very own scrunchies:
- Fabric (a quarter of a yard should provide enough for multiple scrunchies)
- Elastic (1/4 inch wide)
- Sewing needle thread
- Sewing machine (optional)
- Pins (optional)
- Begin by cutting your fabric into a rectangle. The dimensions should be around 3 inches by 18 inches but feel free to adjust based on your desired size.
- Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise right sides together so you have a long skinny piece of fabric. Pin the two layers together if desired.
- Using a sewing machine or a needle thread sew along the long edge of the fabric leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning end to secure the stitches.
- Turn the tube of fabric right side out. You can do this by pushing one end through the other using a safety pin to help guide it through if needed.
- Insert the elastic through the fabric tube. A safety pin or bodkin will help you guide it through. Be sure to knot the ends of the elastic together once it’s through the fabric.
- Overlap the two open ends of the fabric by about 1/2 inch sew them together with a needle thread. Be sure to backstitch to secure the stitches as this will be under some stress when the scrunchie is stretched.
- Turn the scrunchie right side out that’s it! You’ve now created your very own DIY scrunchie.
As you can see crafting your own scrunchies is a breeze. You can use any fabric you like from bold patterns to solid colors to create a custom accessory that is uniquely you. Plus with just a few materials you can create a whole collection of scrunchies in no time. So why not give this DIY a try see what kind of scrunchie magic you can create?