Crafting the Perfect Smoked Old Fashioned: A Step-By-Step Guide
Adding a touch of smoke to your classic Old Fashioned cocktail can elevate the flavors create a unique sensory experience. If you’re a fan of smoky cocktails you’ll love the Smoked Old Fashioned. This step-by-step guide will walk you through the process of crafting the perfect Smoked Old Fashioned right in the comfort of your own home.
What You’ll Need
Before delving into the process make sure you have all the necessary ingredients tools:
– 2 oz of bourbon (or rye whiskey)
– 1 Demerara sugar cube
– 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters
– Orange peel
– Smoking gun (or a similar device)
– Wood chips (choose a type that complements the flavors of your cocktail such as applewood or hickory)
– Mixing glass
– Bar spoon
– Old Fashioned glass
– Ice cubes
Step 1: Prepare the Smoking Gun
– Start by setting up your smoking gun according to its instructions. Usually you’ll need to add wood chips to the chamber.
– Light the wood chips with a lighter or a match allow them to smolder produce smoke.
– Make sure the smoke is flowing smoothly from the smoking gun before moving on to the next step.
Step 2: Muddle the Sugar
– Place the Demerara sugar cube into a mixing glass.
– Using a muddler or the back of a spoon gently crush the sugar cube until it begins to dissolve. You can add a splash of water to facilitate this process.
Step 3: Add the Bitters
– Pour 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters into the mixing glass.
– Use the bar spoon to gently stir the sugar bitters together until well combined.
Step 4: Add the Whiskey
– Measure 2 oz of bourbon or rye whiskey using a jigger.
– Pour the whiskey into the mixing glass with the sugar bitters.
– Stir all the ingredients together until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Step 5: Smoke the Glass
– Take your Old Fashioned glass place it upside down over the smoke coming from the smoking gun nozzle.
– Allow the glass to fill with smoke for around 10-15 seconds.
– Carefully remove the glass from the smoke being cautious not to disturb the smoke inside.
Step 6: Build Garnish
– Fill the smoked Old Fashioned glass with ice cubes.
– Strain the whiskey mixture from the mixing glass into the smoked glass.
– Gently twist an orange peel over the glass to release the oils then drop it into the drink.
– Optionally you can add a cherry or your preferred garnish.
Savor the Smoke
Now that your Smoked Old Fashioned is ready take a moment to appreciate the beautiful aroma the balanced flavors enhanced by the gentle touch of smoke. Sip slowly allowing the flavors to unfold with each taste.
Remember crafting the perfect Smoked Old Fashioned requires practice experimentation to find the ideal balance for your personal preference. Enjoy the process don’t be afraid to play around with different wood chip varieties whiskey brands to discover your favorite combination. Cheers!